Ten Thinigs I Learnt From My Maiden Cycle Tour

My first multi-day, self supported cycling trip, done in Darjeeling Himalaya (read about it here) was a great learning experience for me. I will write them down here so that a novice, like me, reading it can learn something.


  1. Drink enough water and electrolytes while you ride. Carry as much water as possible and keep your bottles filled. 
  2. Test all your equipment before the trip, particularly the shoes. Don't take out a shoe that has been lying idle for months. Their soles come unstuck. I knew this but yet made the mistake. 
  3. Carry enough small hand towels if you are riding in India where it is not biting cold. Carrying briefs isn't necessary if you have cycling shorts/bibs. Invest in good, self-wicking socks
  4. Carry spare nuts and bolts in sizes relevant for your bike. It's very easy to lose them on the journey, particularly when setting the bike up in the hotel room. I carried a few #4 bolts but no nuts. I lost a nut from the mudguard after the tour was over. If it happened on the tour, I would probably have to throw the mudguard away. If you do not use mudguards then you possibly don't need nuts. Also next time I will periodically check the tightness of the nuts and bolts.
    Hardware set of my mudguards
  5. Make sure the hotel you are pre-booked (if at all) in the next town is on the highway or easy to locate/reach. I always do this when travelling by car. In fact I hardly ever pre-book a hotel while travelling. In Kurseong my friend had booked a resort through his client. It was free but he had no clue exactly how far away from the highway it was. I also forgot to bother about it.
  6. We discovered it was at the end of a very very steep winding road where it was not only impossible to climb up, even cycling down could be fatal. We had to ferry our bike in a taxi. 
  7. Best strategy is to arrive early and find a place, provided you are going to a normal tourist destination. Research on available accommodation in a small town in advance but don't book anything. Don't assume anything about availability or existence of homestays or small hotels in a small place. We arrived in Mungpoo thinking it would be a small but touristy village full of home stays. In the central market area of the village we were told homestays were behind us and no one knew if there would be any homestay further down the road. 
  8. Average villagers have no clue about their next town or even what is there in their own small village.
  9. The homestay that is prominently present on google map may not exist. Don't bank on it. Find out in advance.
  10. Take items sensibly keeping in mind the weather, the area and the season. Don't overdo or underdo it. I think I was just adequately equipped for the tour. My friend was not. To him weight was a big issue, something that I completely ignored. Here is a list of items I carried on my maiden trip

No comments:

Post a Comment